Selection requirements for food packaging materials
by：Yijianxing Plastic Products2020-04-08
For plastic materials for food packaging, how to choose suitable materials from a large number of packaging materials for different foods, packaging designs, and packaging processes has become the most concerned issue for packaging manufacturers.
The external requirements of food packaging are the use of packaging to reflect the characteristics, performance, and image of food, as well as the external image and expression of food. The external requirements are the visual expression of food, which is achieved through corresponding technologies, which mainly include safety, promotion, convenience and recognition. The internal packaging requirements of food packaging refer to the technical requirements related to ensuring the quality of food in the corresponding packaging body, including requirements for packaging strength, barrier properties, breathing strength, heat resistance and light protection. The internal food is external to maintain its own quality. Request made in packaging.
In addition, food packaging needs to consider product shelf life. From the perspective of packaged food, the composition of the food and its life cycle, moisture, pH and acid type, microorganisms, oxygen content, potential redox reactions, the addition of preservatives, and the interaction with the packaging must be considered. Role and other factors. In the subsequent processing of food, environmental conditions such as temperature and humidity, light, and consumer processing methods during food processing, storage and marketing need to be considered.
In general, the selection of food packaging materials follows the following principles.
(1) Correspondence principle Because food has high, middle, and low grades according to the applicable scope and location, different grades of food will choose different grades of materials or designs for packaging, which is the corresponding principle of food packaging materials selection.
(2) Principle of applicability Depending on the variety and characteristics of the food, the protection functions required by the food are also different. When selecting packaging materials, it must be guaranteed that they should be suitable for different characteristics of different foods and different circulation conditions in the circulation link. For example, the packaging materials of puffed foods require high tightness, and the packaging of poultry eggs needs shock absorption to adapt to transportation. For example, the packaging of high-temperature sterilized food should use high-temperature resistant materials, and the low-temperature refrigerated food should use low-temperature resistant packaging materials. That is to say, when choosing packaging materials, food characteristics, climatic (environmental) conditions, transfer methods and links (including circulation) must be comprehensively considered. During the packaging operation, the possibility of migration of ingredients such as additives in the packaging materials to the food and the penetration and adsorption of certain components in the food to the packaging materials should be understood. Food properties need moisture, pressure, light, odor, mildew, etc. Climate and environmental conditions include temperature, humidity, temperature difference, humidity difference, air pressure, gas composition in the air, etc .; circulation factors include transportation distance, Mode of transportation (person, car, boat, airplane, etc.) and road conditions. In addition, it is necessary to consider that different countries, different nationalities, and different regions have different requirements for packaging in order to adapt to the market and customer acceptance.
(3) Economic principles Packaging materials should also consider their own economics. After considering the characteristics, quality and grade of the food to be packaged, comprehensively consider the factors of design, production and advertising to carry out the production, and strive to achieve the lowest cost. The cost of packaging materials is not only related to their market procurement costs, but also to processing costs and circulation costs. Therefore, when selecting materials for packaging design, comprehensive consideration should be given to various factors to select the most suitable material.
(4) Coordination principle Packaging materials play different roles and meanings in different positions of the same food packaging. Product packaging may be divided into inner packaging, middle packaging and outer packaging according to its positioning. The outer packaging mainly expresses the product image and is the overall packaging for sale on the shelf. The inner packaging is the packaging that directly contacts the food, and the packaging between the inner packaging and the outer packaging is
In packaging. Different packages of the same food play different roles, so different packaging categories should also be related to materials. Soft packaging materials such as plastic soft materials, paper, aluminum foil, and composite packaging materials are used for inner packaging; buffer materials with buffer characteristics are mostly used for intermediate packaging; outer packaging is selected according to the characteristics of food. In addition, wood, bamboo and other plastic sheets are also used more.
How to match and coordinate the role of food packaging materials and packaging, and combine with food characteristics, requires a comprehensive analysis to achieve functional requirements and economic costs.
(5) Aesthetic principles In the selection of packaging materials, consideration should be given to whether the food packaging designed using the material can make the product sell well. This is the aesthetic principle. In fact, it is the combination of artistry and packaging appearance. The color, texture, transparency, stiffness, surface smoothness, and surface decoration of packaging materials are all artistic contents of packaging materials. The packaging materials that express artistic power are paper, plastic, glass, metal, and ceramic in turn. The packaging that is the most difficult to realize art such as natural wood, bamboo and rattan.
(6) Scientific Principles How to choose packaging materials scientifically requires taking materials according to market, function, consumption and other factors. The selection principles should be based on science and reality, according to processing requirements and processing equipment conditions; according to consumer psychology and market demand characteristics; according to environmental protection requirements; according to prices and functions are appropriate; according to new technology and market dynamics; reasonable according to the operator and Reasonable selection of materials such as special requirements of users.
(7) Principle of combining with packaging technology method For a given food, after selecting suitable packaging materials and containers, the most appropriate packaging technology method should also be adopted. The selection of packaging technology is closely related to packaging materials and also to the market positioning of packaged foods. The same food can often use different packaging technology methods to achieve similar packaging functions and effects, but the packaging cost will be different. For example, the packaging of easily oxidizable food can be implemented by vacuum packaging, aerated packaging, or sealed with a deoxidizer, but the cost of the latter may be relatively high. Therefore, sometimes in order to achieve the designed packaging requirements and effects, it is necessary to combine packaging materials and packaging technology.
In addition, in the actual selection of food packaging materials, design and selection can be made with reference to existing or already used packaging materials with the same characteristics or similar foods; after comparing the advantages and disadvantages of similar food packaging materials on the market, You need to make your own choices; use trial methods to determine the types and specifications of packaging materials; use a variety of packaging materials for test packaging to choose; you can choose parameters after testing the packaging materials, which requires users to parameterize packaging materials Such as oxygen permeability, water permeability, pressure resistance, tensile resistance, tear resistance, folding resistance, heat resistance, peeling, mildew resistance, and other parameters. Fully understand the parameters of the package. And rotation test to understand the parameters during storage and transportation. Then, users are required to have an understanding of packaging regulations and standards to ensure the smooth progress of packaging raw materials, operations and circulation.